No, his name doesn't mean National Basketball Association--it's going to cost him. However, it does mean Never Broke Again, if you're curious. NBA YoungBoy is an American rapper, singer, and songwriter hailing from Louisiana. Between the recent years of 2015 to 2017, he released eight independent mixtapes both online and locally that's garnered him a decent amount of followers in the early years of his music career.
YoungBoy was born as Kentrell DeSean Gaulden on the 20th of October, 1999, in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. When Gaulden was a toddler, he broke his neck and wore a temporary head brace for a short time. However, when the brace was taken off, it left three permanent scars on his forehead--those marks on his forehead aren't tattoos, they're real forehead scars from an accident.
When Gaulden was given birth to, however, his father was sentenced to 55 years in prison and was then taken care of by his maternal grandmother.
At fourteen years old, NBA YoungBoy began producing his own music. At around the same age, he released his first mixtape titled 'Life Before Fame' and has already given himself the nickname we know of him today. After his first mixtape, it was followed by a trilogy of 'Mind of a Menace'.
What truly became his breakthrough, though, was his 2016 mixtape in '38 Baby' which was watched by millions on YouTube. Just like any rapper, he also had a 'rap beef' with his fellow Baton Rouge rapper, Scotty Cain.
A year later, YoungBoy released 'Untouchable' and became a part of the Billboard Hot 100. In 2018, he released 'Outside Today' and proved that he belongs in the rap game forever. At that point in time, he was peaking in terms of his career alongside the song topping at number 35 on the Billboard H0t 100.
Now, his Spotify streams have been booming. His song with Juice WRLD, 'Bandit', has been played a whopping 470 million+ times.
|Name||Kentrell DeSean Gaulden|
|Net Worth||$7 million|
|Date of Birth||October 20, 1999|
|Origin||Baton Rogue, Louisiana, United States|
|Income Source||Professional Rapper|
Though YoungBoy Never Broke Again is, really, just a young boy--you can tell how much he's matured through his songs. He isn't Jay-Z, Ice Cube, Dr. Dre, or any of the biggest and most legendary names in the rap game but he's getting there. At a young age, he already spits bars like he's 30 years older, and that's notable for someone who lived a childhood like his.
Here are some of his best quotes--don't be surprised when you realize all of these are written by a 21-year-old.
- "I come from a rare place. It's a different culture, different atmosphere, police crooked. Different emojis, and when I say emojis, I mean personalities." - YoungBoy Never Broke Again
- "I think music made me who I am. Music taught me what was gutter and what wasn't. Music taught me how to live." - YoungBoy Never Broke Again
- "'I don't know how I started rapping. The first I did was at school. I tried writing one. I liked it. People started to like it. It was what I wanted to do." - YoungBoy Never Broke Again
- "Without loyalty, you won't accomplish anything." - YoungBoy Never Broke Again
- "When I'm in public people see me they screaming my name. Just a few days ago I was locked up in them chains. Now I'm in back of the Maybach with a lot of bands. I ain't worry 'bout 'em dissin' naw, I don't hear a thing they sayin'" - YoungBoy Never Broke Again
Love or hate the guy, he's one of the rappers that work the hardest for sure. He knows how to hustle and his work ethic is unmatched. This is one of the many reasons why his songs and his name have been growing so rapidly and steadily. Take a page out of this young man's book--know your priorities and be passionate about your work. These are what separates the lyric-readers from legendary rappers.